So, yesterday I was so frustrated about computer problems. I worked for 12 hours trying to resolve this strange issue. Here it is:
- 3 total computers connected to router, 2 laptops-both wireless, and one desktop by ethernet cable.
- Internet Explorer 7 won’t load any pages except localhost, nor will Firefox 3, and can’t ping websites urls (www., etc.) nor ip addresses (18.104.22.168). This problem is only on the desktop.
- Rebooted working laptops in hopes that if they did not work after reboot, then maybe it was simply a TCP/IP lease expiration issue. However, after reboot, both laptops were able to connect, run IE, and work just fine.
- Rebooting desktop caused no changes in desktop operation
- Discovered that if I could use a WHOIS application to find website addresses, I could enter them directly in explorer or firefox and could successfully load that page, but could not load any pages underneath main page (i.e.: if I loaded google’s homepage ip, doing a search from that page would not work and would simply result in the Internet Explorer error I had earlier recieved:
- Online chat with useless “teck support” for 4 hours. Stupid bitches (both guys). Kept asking the 2nd guy if he knew anything about host files in XP. He was clueless. How does one get good support, when one knows more about support than the agent?
- Did search to see if there was such thing as a DNS virus — yep, there is. Found websites like computerhope, bleepingcomputer, and majorgeeks that give advice on what to do about DNS Virus and malware infections. The list of programs to use is quite extensive. Read up for about 2 hours.
- Ran Malwarebytes – failed to connect to update server, but was able to run full scan – found nothing. Ran comodo antivirus – found nothing. Getting anxious
- Went to bed upset and frustrated… however …
- I tried to fix it again this morning, but no go.
- Tried again tonight around 6 PM. On a whim, before getting into the heavy stuff, I decided to try a fall-back “default” technique of unplugging both the modem and the router for about 5 minutes, then plugging back in — FUCKIN MAGIC, as in I Can’t Explain It … but it worked !!! Computer rebooted and all of a sudden I got Internet Explorer 7 acting like it was just installed … popped up with the first-run website, etc.
So, now everything is working fine on my desktop. I am watching Netflix as I type this. The last thing that happened before this problem occurred is that a website I was on said it required me to download the Adobe Flash 9 update. I installed the update but didn’t realize that YOU HAVE TO UNCHECK “Install McAfee” also. Subsequently, I had to uninstall McAfee. And, although I cannot say for sure and it could just be a coincidence, I suspect that Adobe Flash may have been the problem, or not. It could also just be an issue with cable or the router. So, let that be a lesson …. IT MAKES NO SENSE, but if you can’t load pages on one computer, even though you can load pages on other PC’s just fine, no matter: start by unplugging your modem and router for 5 minutes, (make sure to remove battery if either has one), then plug modem in first, making sure it is fully restarted (the normal sequences of lights is lit), then plug in your router. Bada-bing, bada-boom!